Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Freestyle Rapping

I have never been "cool."

If dorkiness were a hole in the ground, and my personality was a shovel, the hole would be so deep, that if I even tried to do something cool, like become a freestyle rapper or push a baby buggy out of the way of a speeding car, to redeem myself, I'd get confused and end up digging DEEPER into the dorkiness pit because I'd be so deep into the earth that the surface would be closer on the opposite side.



See? I just inadvertently proved my own point. The first things that came to mind when trying to think of something inherently "cool" and non-dorky were
1) freestyle rapping

and
2)something cliche that only happens in cartoons and satirical comedies.
 

I'm not even the "cool" type of dorky like you see in romantic comedies.
"Oh look, her skirt got caught in a car door and now you can see her adorable cartoon character underpants!"
No.
I'm the other kind.
I knocked over an entire DVD display in Best Buy with my butt while out shopping.
It was loud.
And dear bf, despite being 3 aisles away, knew from the noise what had happened and that I did it.

Because I'm cool like THAT.
And then I knocked over a whole DIFFERENT display in an entirely DIFFERENT store just an hour later.
With my butt.
Again.
And he still knew what happened from across the store and wasn't surprised.

Suffice it to say, coordination is NOT one of my strong points.
So when I walked into my usual gym class last night to find a guest instructor who wanted us to have a bosu, stability ball, weights, mat, jump rope, resistance band, AND had ladders laying on the ground at either end of the room... I knew I was in trouble.


But you know what? I had a GREAT time. I messed up a lot, I fell off the bosu, I laughed so hard when attempting to balance on one foot and bounce a stability ball in my non-dominant hand at the same time that I thought I was at risk of peeing my pants, I slapped myself in the face with a jump rope, you name it. It wasn't pretty, but it was still fun, and it was a fabulous work out.

It made me realize that while I've gotten pretty darn badass at the stuff I do in my regular classes, I'm maybe NOT the super cool all around bad ass that I like to think I've become.

Changing things up is GOOD, trying new things is good, and keeping my body guessing is great.
So I decided to go ahead and sign up for 20 sessions of personal training while they're having all their new year's deals.
I feel a little guilty about it. I'm a former athlete, I know my way around a gym, I know how to lift weights and use the machines and in what combinations they are effective. I don't know that a personal trainer can really teach me anything NEW, exactly, but I do think that they can challenge me in ways I'm not challenging myself, just like I was in that class last night.

I'm still a little sick to my stomach at the thought of the price, but I'm trying to convince myself that I'm really going to work hard to make it worth the cost!!

First session is on Wednesday, so I plan to take some before pictures and measurements, and see what a difference 20 sessions makes!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you luck, I am inspired by you, and you made me LOL. That's actually pretty badass, IMHO. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete